Pages

Thursday, March 6, 2008

C'mere, You Big Stud Muffin

Rose Levy Berenbaum does have a way with recipe titles, does she not? From her Bread Bible, I present the Stud Muffin:
The dough is laced with grated Parmesan and Romano cheeses, chunks of Gruyere, and a healthy hit of ground black pepper. The Gruyere was enough to sell me on it.
Ready for the final rise:
After the final rise, one gilds the lily by gently skewering the surface of the dough and inserting yet more chunks of Gruyere. Come to mama.
My souffle dish is a little bigger than the 2 quarts she calls for, so I didn't get the same lovely, high muffin top that's pictured in the book.

Warm out of the oven, the crust is light and crispy and the bread is full of flavor. And it is very close to heaven when you encounter a melty chunk of Gruyere as you nibble your way through damn near half the loaf at one sitting. (Don't say I didn't warn you.)

2 comments:

Amy said...

Gah!! I have to make this soon! I have it marked in my copy of the book forEVER. It's time...

Nancy/n.o.e said...

I came across your blog from a Google search for this bread, which I'm baking this weekend. Yours looks good; I have that same corning ware dish, but I'm making a 3/4 recipe in a smaller dish. I enjoyed poking around your blog; good luck with the baking business!
Nancy