Pages

Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Okay, Let's Get This Over With

I've been sitting on News since last week, and while it's information I kind of hate to publish, I feel an obligation to (and can't really blog about anything else while this is dangling from my subconscious).

So.

I'm making my first trip to the transplant clinic next week. My kidney function is down to 24% and my nephrologist has asked me to start the pre-transplant process, so I'm having my full-day pre-surgical work-up and counselling on the 26th. Now, I can (and will) delay the actual surgery, but it's all getting real pretty fast. I'm hoping to hold off on the actual surgery at least until fall, but at this point it's anyone's guess. (Shall we start a pool?...)

The delightful news is that my younger brother is coming in from Singapore in the next 6 days (yay!), so he AND my older brother will both join me for the potential-donor-counselling section of the day. If nothing else, it will be fun hanging out with them. Maybe I'll live-blog the whole day just to keep my brain occupied.

(Before you all ask, I really don't feel any different from how I've BEEN feeling, which is generally not awful, but with a marked lack of stamina and some days when I just face-plant for six hours at a time. Status quo, in other words.)

Meanwhile, life goes on. We're harvesting strawberries and planning a deck re-do and surviving the new job and planting tomatoes. More to come.

11 comments:

Oonie said...

Thanks for filling us in. Good luck with everything in the next few weeks. And am insanely jealous of your berries! Ours all died on the vine, or stem, or whatever you'd call it.

Domestic Goddess said...

Oh man. Hope they are good matches. If not, how does one go about finding out if they are a match for you?

Dang rabbits eat our strawberries. I'm temped to try a topsy turvey.

Kelly said...

Sending my love and good wishes, Ruth...

Anonymous said...

Thinking of you! Hope all goes smoothly and you can delay surgery until it's a better time for you.

Lora said...

I've been wondering. This is sort of good news, that you are moving on and able to delay and feeling just the same.

Sort of bad, that 24 is a low number.

Thinking of you always, of course

Magpie said...

Hoping for good things for you. Or, one good thing - a good kidney.

Blessed Rain said...

Everything is better with strawberries and tomatoes I am still getting my plants started!

Heleen said...

I'm sending mybest wishes and positive vibes that all goes well with the journey you're about to start. Hugs to you!

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing with us, Ruth. You are very brave and seem to take on all that life throws at you with a ton of grace. I will think only the best thoughts that the path is smooth and the destination is feeling 1000x better than you do now.

Domestic CEO said...

{{{RUTH}}}} <-- cyber hug

You are in my thoughts and prayers more than you know.

Not that I think you should just want to jump into major surgery, but what are the reasons you are pushing off the surgery for as long as you can?

Where the Fur Flies said...

I'm wishing you the best, whenever the surgery happens.