Pages

Friday, January 27, 2012

Read Any Good Books Lately?

Recovery from the surgery is about a month, most of which will be spent cooped up at home avoiding germs as much as humanly possible. Assuming that I'll eventually hit my limit of Netflix episodes of "Gray's Anatomy," I'm planning a kamikaze run on our local library a few days before the transplant.

So. Assume that I haven't read anything written in the last 10 years or so (sadly, this is mostly true). Recommendations? Stuff you've read and liked? Leave me comments.

ALSO, I've been getting a lot a questions on the logistics of the surgery and recovery, so am planning a FAQ post. If you've got questions, spill 'em now.

Pre-admission testing is Tuesday. Squee!

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Okay. Here goes.

Hilary Mantel - Wolf Hall

John Heilemann & Mark Halperin - Game Change

David Mitchell - Black Swan Green

Jonathan Lethem - Motherless Brooklyn

(I've been reading a lot during my semester off...can you tell?)

Oonie said...

Well, anything Tina Bennett was involved with (Tipping Point & other Malcolm Gladwell, Tiger Mom, Seabiscuit, Fast Food Nation) to start. (I also like Atul Guwande, who is one of her authors, but he is mostly medical which might not be what you want to read at that moment.)
I love reading Ann Patchett, even if I don't love the books, if that makes sense.
Are books fomites? If not, I will cheerfully drop some by for you.

Leslie Miller said...

Stephen King's new book 11/22/63. It's a terrific look at time travel back to change the outcome of the assassination of JFK.

Star said...

Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series. There's seven books (so far), and each one is at least 1000 pages. They would keep you going for awhile!

Magpie said...

Wolf Hall is great. You could do a whole lot of stuff round that time period: The Other Boleyn Girl, The Daughter of Time are two that come immediately to mind. Actually the latter is good for the recuperation aspect.

Non-fiction: Reality Is Broken, Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks, An Everlasting Meal.

I just read No Name, a Wilkie Collins I'd never before heard of. Terrific.

More recent? Room is amazing.

Magpie said...

Ooh, and I learned a new word: fomites - thanks to MemeGrl.

Anonymous said...

Discover a new (old) mystery story
writer, Josephine Tey.

Eliza