Pages

Monday, May 14, 2012

From a Whisper to a Scream

It's been two-and-a-half weeks since replacing one of my anti-rejection meds with an alternate, and I must say, it's awfully nice to be able to eat food and not feel like dying 20 minutes later.  It took me a while to realize what was going on, so ended up spending three weeks undernourished and dehydrated, which was very debilitating and stupid.  The last two-and-a-half weeks have been slow but definite recovery, and though my digestive tract is not completely back to normal, it's no longer trying to kill me.  So that's good.

Meanwhile, the pollen counts have been stratospheric, and I've gotten a little sneezy.  Late yesterday afternoon I was taking a lie-down and felt a sneeze coming on.  Without giving it a conscious though, I suppressed the sneeze, as one does.

Holy mother of god.

I thought I'd torn my incision open, the pain was so great.  I couldn't move without help for at least an hour, and I'm still sore this morning.  I don't see any bruising or horrible swelling, so I guess I didn't actually rip myself, but holy shit.   

Never a dull moment.


1 comment:

Sue said...

oh dear. I remember a similar situation during my abdominal surgery recovery years ago.

Needless to say, carrying tissue is my MO now. Even tho many years removed, i almost never suppress sneezes anymore- one bitten as they say.

Glad to know you can eat- i was worried there would be no Ruth there soon. Hugs to you! :-)