Pages

Friday, March 20, 2009

Lessons from a (Three-Week) Career in Baking

  • Caramel burns hurt like a motherfrocker.
  • Be prepared to lose a portion of each batch of macarons to lack of self-control quality control.
  • It is actually possible to eat too much chocolate mousse, but it takes some diligence.
  • Before you order 25 pounds of almond flour off the internet, think VERY CAREFULLY about where you're going to store it.
  • If you accidently overbeat your egg whites, a little unbeaten egg white added to the bowl will fix it.
  • You will always have leftover egg whites.
  • You may need to buy a new freezer to store just the almond flour and the egg whites.
  • It's hard to get packaging just right.
  • Silpats are quite possibly the greatest invention ever.
  • You can never have too much tupperware.
  • Or fridge space.
  • The best midnight snack after five straight hours of baking is good cheddar cheese on a kaiser roll, run under the broiler until bubbly. Best consumed while watching the latest episode of The Real Housewives of New York.

6 comments:

Kelly said...

OMG, thank you so much for clueing me into what the heck the silpat is for. I got one for Christmas and promptly put it away as a kitchen oddity.

I am so dumb!

(Oh, and I couldn't stand the Real Housewives of OC, or Atlanta, but why do I find the NY edition so strangely compelling?)

Domestic Goddess said...

YOu don't have to worry about me getting any caramel burns because I will never, ever make it.

Magpie said...

I'm wincing just thinking about the caramel burns.

And I hope you had a beer with your midnight toasted cheese.

Christine said...

I have a Silpat. I used it a handful of times before I said SCREW THIS because everything was getting overcooked and too brown on the bottom. Do you have to reduce the cooking time when you use them? Apparently I'm doing it wrong.

Amy said...

Wine. You forgot the wine in your last bullet point.

yellaphant said...

Just reading the word "macaroon" made me crave one.