Pages

Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Heartsick

A good friend and former colleague was laid off yesterday from a senior, executive-level position that she has filled with skill, professionalism and grace for sixteen years.

She knew it was coming and handled the situation with admirable aplomb, but I am furious. This was not a reduction in staff, this was a political situation where new and inexperienced management needed a scapegoat.

I am livid.

And I'm thinking about integrity, and where and how to maintain it. I mentioned last week that I bent over backwards to maintain my integrity regarding hiring a former staff member away from our common former employer -- the result of which is that my friend is being asked to sign a release stating that she will not solicit any current employees to come work for her at a new job.

Such bullshit.

I can't rant much further without being inappropriate (see? integrity!!), so I'mma shut up now.

But tell you what, nobody better fuck with me today.

7 comments:

Kelly said...

Astonishing....

Emily said...

What comes around goes around and you have to believe that or corporate life will drive you to drink. I think the free market works best when its, uh free and people can move, like water, to where the best opportunities are... hopefully if your friend is as good as you say (and Im sure she is), she will land on her feet and perhaps do even better. I hope so.

yellaphant said...

Experiencing the same EXACT thing. Wonder if it's the same person. Weirder things have happened.

Anonymous said...

As you know, I've been down the same road. I've concluded that in this economy and with people saving their own asses above all else, that integrity is very fragile. But, those of us who act with integrity, in the end, always end up better off being outside an organization where it's members lack it. Certainly that was my story.

Anonymous said...

Maria said thank you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RuthWells said...
This comment has been removed by the author.